Unless I am remembering this badly, or just exaggerating for effect, they had been in the states when 9/11 occurred, and they discovered that the gun ranges were offering pictures of Osama bin Laden as a target within about fifty seven minutes of it happening.
"What an interesting piece of cultural trivia," we thought. "Such a gung-ho and blood thirsty people."
So we put the Osama target, complete with bullet holes, up on the wall between the 'Hello Kitty' poster and the stain. It amused us, until one derelict Sunday afternoon when someone commented:
"So you lot are really into the War on Terror, huh?"
And we realised that, without knowing it's back story, the poster made us look like we had a serious case of oil-slurpy trigger lust for the Middle East. So we took it down obviously.
- Accidentally contributing to a general feeling of mistrust towards out Arabic brothers
- Not cleaning that stain off the wall
We created a check list that must be completed before anything else was put up on the wall anyway:
- Will this poster/painting/erotic etching promote feelings of intolerance towards another race/sexuality/gender/species/thing
- Will this poster/paining/erotic etching give the appearance that we think that we need to, "get out there and get them guys."
- Will this erotic etching inspire an inappropriate level of arousal for anyone finding themselves before it in the living room
Needless to say, the 'Hello Kitty' poster came down next.